Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

What's for Dinner? Crock Pot Edition




Even though we don't plan on having soup until next week (yes, soup in August for this Alabama Auburn family is rare, but I was craaaaaaving it) I got the bug to cook this morning so I hit the ground bakin'. I also made bread of the first time in the bread maker as opposed to our regular oven, but that didn't turn out too well. That post shall wait for another day.

 In October 2011, I made a post about what I called "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" Vegetable Soup. It was a recipe that my mom always made for us growing up and served with a grilled cheese sandwich. When we started our family I knew I would make my family love this dish.... and over the years it's been tweaked to my family's taste. I also wanted to rename it to "Schoolhouse Vegetable Soup" because it truly reminds me of the vegetable soup served in school cafeterias.



Cast of Characters

1 1/2 - 2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
2 cups beef or vegetable stock, low sodium
15 oz can green beans, french style, drained
15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
8 oz can carrots, drained
15 oz can diced tomatoes, no specific flavor
15 oz can tomato sauce
2 - 3 cups white peas (optional)
6-8 red potatoes, peeled and diced
1 TBS Lawry's Seasoning Salt
pepper to taste

*Note* I drain all of the juices from the cans because I think the juice is too sweet. Also, I use red potatoes because they stand up better than regular Idaho potatoes. Lastly, if you need to add more stock, feel free, but don't do so until before serving because there is a LOT of water in the potatoes. 

Brown the ground beef (or turkey) and drain if necessary. Drain all canned vegetables, except tomatoes, in a collander. Add meat and vegetables to slow cooker. Peel and dice potatoes and add to slow cooker. Add  stock and tomatoes. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours. Add more stock if you like a wetter soup. 

Serve with grilled cheese or yeast rolls

I smell my bread baking... I guess it's time for me to see how horrible of a job I did :(

- Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are such a blessing to me and I appreciate every one! If you are a no-reply commenter please leave me your email so I can respond to you! Thanks, y'all!